Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My 30th Year: The year of changes

For years I've been saying that I want to lose weight and get in shape and be healthier. And for years I have mostly done the opposite peppered with stints of eating a certain way or going to the gym a little. Obviously, this hasn't worked!

If only time travel existed, I would go back in time and slap myself in the face! I would tell myself not to eat the pizza and soda constantly provided by Tribal DDB. I would tell myself to eat less pasta and rice and add veggies. And I especially would tell myself to be more active. For so many years I told myself things like "Oh, if i am going to eat _____ (insert high calorie food), I may as well eat as much of it as i want" or "tomorrow I won't have cheese enchiladas ever again."

Fast forward to 2009. I have figured out the exercise thing- I go to the gym fairly often and I take zumba, sometimes yoga, do strength training, or swim. I've had some sessions with a trainer and I am starting kickboxing next week. I don't even go as much as I think I could, but I am consistent with the zumba at least. And my gym buddy Svetlana is a big help!

Well now that I am 30, I decided it was high time for me to figure out the diet and nutrition side of things. So I started seeing a nutritionist-who I affectionately refer to sometimes as my food therapist. LOL.

She is great. I have seen her about 3 times over 4 weeks. My next appointment is in about 1.5 weeks. I have learned what kind of foods to eat in the morning—minimum high fiber and protein! I have learned what foods to incorporate into my diet—more veggies, fruits and protein! I have learned portion control. I don't necessarily have to cut out foods -- i can have the good stuff-- but i don't need to gorge on it.

I think the biggest thing I have learned is to BE PREPARED. If I don't have groceries, then I am naturally going to eat out, especially grab a slice of pizza ( I mean there are hundreds of those places by my apartment). Now I make a huge effort to go to the grocery store, as well as cook at home. I have been bringing breakfast, lunch and snacks to work consistently. I even mostly cut out coffee by indulging in Honest Mate teas from Whole Foods (they even have natural agave sugar in them-bonus!).

I have been writing down everything i eat for like 6 weeks now. It keeps me in check. And best of all, I have lost 4 or more pounds! If I can keep up that rate, I'll be so happy by end of summer! Really all I want to do is wittle down my venusbelly. So let's hope for that!

2 comments:

Carrie S. said...

Go KelBel!

Unknown said...

You are doing awesome! I guess that's the end of "chicken strip" in the middle of the night!